Monday 24 October 2011

The American Dream Reversed by Bianca Philipp

I am not being paid for this review and will be unbiased in my finidings.

This is Bianca's first book and was originally her entry into the NaNoWriMo last year.

The story follows Keith Scott from a man who thinks he has it all into his downward spiral of drugs, alcoholism and ultimately ending up at rock bottom with no visible way of getting out. Losing his friends, family and everything he holds dear the reader is made to follow him down and then watch him try to make his way back up with the help of a friend - and a few bumps along the way.

This book doesn't pull it's punches, you're dragged in to feeling an empathy towards the main character that really doesn't help you feel good during his low moments, and believe me they get low, but you will be happy for him when it does happen (or just feel like slapping some sense into the man)! This is Bianca's first book and a very good promise for things to come. Well written and uncompromising in her style she has a straightforward bluntness that is rather refreshing for it's honest outlook.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the finished version of this book after my attempt at assisting with the beta-reading. Having read her online work, mainly covering fanfiction, this is a well deserved big break for this woman to showcase her talent. I wish her well and hope she gets a chance to publish her next novel, whenever that may be.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lately all I do is read books that I get for reviewing, it can be really stressful. You were a beta-reader? What was it like?

Anonymous said...

*wipes tears away* Oh, thanks my love. My first official review. WooHoo! :) And I am so very grateful for what you have done.

Toni D. said...

sounds like an interesting book! thanks for sharing.